A team of amateur cyclists from Mahdlo Youth Zone are cycling more than 30 miles from Blackburn to Oldham to raise vital funds for local young people.
Frankie Byrne, Sports Coordinator at Mahdlo will depart Blackburn Youth Zone along with a whole host of riders early on Tuesday 22nd October and end the challenge a few hours later at Mahdlo.
The challenge will take the following route:
The riders will be completing the whole route or joining for stages along the way to include as many people as possible. The below miles are approximate.
- Carlisle to Blackburn – 100 miles (Carlisle and Blackburn Youth Zones)
- Blackburn to Altrincham – 76 miles (Chorley (Inspire), Wigan, Bolton (Lads and Girls Club), Oldham (Mahdlo), Manchester Youth Zones)
- Altrincham to Telford – 89 miles (Warrington and Wirral (The Hive) Youth Zones)
- Telford to Buckingham – 98 miles (Wolverhampton (The Way) Youth Zone)
- Buckingham to Croydon – 93 miles (Barking and Dagenham (Future), Barnet (Unitas) and Croydon (Legacy) Youth Zones)
All funds raised will go towards Mahdlo which offers a range of services for local young people including counselling, mentoring, employability and enterprise programmes, days out and holiday clubs as well as over twenty activities seven days a week.
The route forms part of the ‘Tour De Youth Zones’ challenge organised by national charity OnSide Youth Zones which has a network of 13 state-of-the-art centres across the country.
Claire Crossfield, Fundraising Manager at Mahdlo, said: “It’s a huge challenge cycling all the way from Croydon to Carlisle and I want to say a huge thank you to all the participants who are helping to make this event happen.
“Our own Sports Coordinator Frankie is taking part and has been working hard to make sure he’s up to the challenge and we’ll be giving him and all the other riders a hero’s welcome when they pull up at Mahdlo!”