We’re an independent charity that relies on the support and generosity of the Oldham community to keep our doors open and to provide the services our young people want and need.
Mahdlo has a proven youth service provision model aligned to community needs and supported by cross-sector funding. At the heart of Mahdlo is not only a hugely successful partnership between public, private and third-sector organisations, the local community and young people themselves but also by an overwhelmingly passionate and dedicated workforce who are committed to improving the lives of young people.
We’re looking for an enthusiastic young person, aged somewhere between 20 and 25, who’s passionate about supporting young people, who cares about what we do, and who can actively contribute to the Youth Zone’s strategic management. That person will be an Associate Young Trustee on our Board of Trustees, who meet every couple of months.
As an Associate Young Trustee, you must…
- be professional and friendly to others.
- value everyone’s strengths, fostering trusting and honest relationships with others.
- treat everyone fairly and consistently.
- be reliable.
- take pride in your role as an associate trustee, celebrating success and looking for ways to improve.
- always act in the best interest of the youth zone ensuring you exercise a duty of care when making decisions that directly affect Mahdlo.
- act as part of a group and not as an individual.
Duties of an Associate Young Trustee include…
- meeting with the CEO before board meetings.
- contributing to discussions that ensure that the Youth Zone pursues its objectives as defined in our Strategy and Business Plan.
- contributing to discussions to ensure that Mahdlo Youth Zone applies its resources wisely and applies ‘best value’ principles.
- contributing actively to board meetings and other appropriate events and activities for Mahdlo.
- safeguarding the reputation and values of Mahdlo Youth Zone.
- protecting the financial stability of Mahdlo Youth Zone.
Each Trustee must:
- Commit to the mission, vision and values of the Youth Zone.
- Show willingness to devote the necessary time and effort.
- Act with integrity and have the willingness to speak their mind.
- Employ a strategic vision.
- Have the ability to work effectively as a team member and take decisions for the good of the Youth Zone.
Minimum time commitment
- Associate young trustees are expected to attend an induction meeting with the Chair of the Board and the Chief Executive before attendance at their first board meeting.
- Associate Trustees are expected to undertake an induction process.
- Associate Trustees are expected to attend all board meetings.
- Associate Trustees are expected to serve a minimum of one and a maximum of 3 years.
- Board meetings are held every other month, lasting approximately 2 hours.
- In addition to Board meetings, there will be a designated Annual General Meeting for Members of the charity to discuss items such as governance or finance, as well as sub-group meetings as and when required.
- Associate Trustees may be asked to take part in governance training.
- Papers are distributed in advance of meetings – trustees are expected to have read them in advance of the meeting.
- In addition to reading the Board pack and attending meetings, associate trustees must visit to observe sessions and walk the Youth Zone to take their own soundings of the delivery performance and contextualise the information provided.
- In accordance with Mahdlo’s Child Protection and Safeguarding procedures, this position requires an enhanced DBS check.
Think you’d be a good fit for this role?
We’re not asking you to fill out an application form for this role, please email your CV and covering letter to email@example.com.